Patrick Dempsey has extensive experience in matters concerning complex commercial disputes, franchise litigation, real estate law, construction litigation, insurance controversies, intellectual property law, executive employment disputes, and securities litigation in the Florida Circuit Courts, the United States District Courts for the Southern and Middle Districts of Florida, the United States Bankruptcy Courts for the Southern and Middle Districts of Florida. Patrick has tried multiple jury and non-jury cases in Florida Circuit Courts, Federal District Courts, and in Federal Bankruptcy Adversarial proceedings.
Born in Miami and raised in Palm Beach, Florida, Patrick Dempsey attended Stanford University. During his time at Stanford, he served as the systems administrator and Chief Technology Officer for an internet social networking startup company in San Francisco, California. After graduating from Stanford University with Distinction, he attended the University of Virginia School of Law where he served as Senior Production Editor of the Virginia Law and Business Review, as President of the Virginia Trial Advocacy Team, and received the Lewis F. Powell Medal for Excellence in Advocacy.
Upon obtaining his Juris Doctorate from the University of Virginia, Patrick joined the law firm Greenberg Traurig in Florida, where he handled arbitrations and complex civil actions involving real estate disputes, securities litigation, construction defect litigation, and complex corporate disputes.
In 2010, Patrick joined Kenny Nachwalter, P.A., a boutique nationally renowned litigation firm headquartered in downtown Miami. In 2013, Patrick founded his own law firm. Patrick has combined his legal expertise with his project management and programming background to provide cutting-edge legal services to the firm's clients. As a result, many of the technological services and resources needed to manage a complex transaction or dispute are provided in-house; which reduces the need to employ costly outside technological service providers in most instances. In December 2015, Patrick Dempsey, Leon Hirzel, and Andre Dreyfuss decided to join forces and formed Hirzel Dreyfuss, & Dempsey, PLLC.
Admitted to Practice
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of Florida
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Middle District of Florida
BUSINESS AND LEGAL EXPERIENCE
- Hirzel Dreyfuss & Dempsey PLLC (Managing Attorney, 2015-present)
- The PGD Law Firm LLC (Managing Attorney, 2013 - 2016)
- Kenny Nachwalter P.A. (Attorney, 2010 to 2013)
- Greenberg Traurig LLP (Attorney, 2006 to 2010)
- GroupEngines.com (Chief Technology Officer and Systems Admin, 1999-2001)
- University of Virginia School of Law (J.D., 2006)
- Stanford University (B.A. with Distinction, 2003)
PUBLICATIONS AND PRESENTATIONS
- "Social Media in the 21st Century -- Legal Minefields in the Social Network," Accredited CLE Presentation and Publication of Course Materials, May 10, 2011.
- "Introducing Internet Evidence: The Wayback Machine, Google Search Results, & Social Media," Accredited CLE Presentation and Publication of Course Materials, August 20, 2010.
- Numerous negotiations of agreements for executive employment, pre-suit agreements, settlement agreements, and other agreements on behalf of or against medium and large companies throughout the United States.
- Representation of multiple franchisees in core bankruptcy proceedings and bankruptcy adversarial proceedings in conjunction with the bankruptcy of an international restaurant franchisor.
- Successful representation of employer in a jury trial in the Southern District of Florida concerning the Fair Labor Standards Act.
- Representation of master franchiser with exclusive territorial rights to the United States for a tattoo removal system originally created and marketed in Europe.
- Representation of publicly traded corporation and several of its officers in defending against a putative securities litigation class action litigation involving a nationwide proposed class of plaintiffs, pending in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida.
- Experience in a variety of complex litigation proceedings in Florida Circuit Courts, the US District Courts for the Southern and Middle Districts of Florida, US Bankruptcy Courts for the Southern and Middle District of Florida; arbitration proceedings under American Arbitration Association rules and before FINRA arbitration panels; and mediation proceedings in disputes involving complex commercial law, intellectual property, executive/corporate employment issues, and class actions.
- Representation of large development trust and its trustee in litigation pending in the 20th Judicial Circuit in and for Lee County, Florida involving multiple lenders, other real estate development companies, the Florida Department of Transportation, and other individual defendants/counterclaimants concerning a dispute foreclosure rights, priority of interests, inverse condemnation, fraud, negligence, and breaches of fiduciary duties.
- Representation of third-party defendant in insurance coverage litigation involving financial institution and its insurer pending before the US District Court for the Southern District of Florida in obtaining a full dismissal of the client from the litigation.
- Representation of three national retail stores in a nationwide consumer class action pending before the US District Court for the Southern District of Florida concerning “digital copies” of DVDs and Blu-Rays.
- Representation of former officers and directors of subsidiary entities of a national residential development company in adversarial proceedings pending before the US Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of Florida involving claims for breach of fiduciary duty and aiding and abetting breach of fiduciary duty.
- Representation of international consumer products company in numerous trademark disputes and Lanham Act disputes pending before the US District Court for the Southern District of Florida and various Florida Circuit Courts.
- Representation of three investors in complex adversarial proceeding pending before the US Bankruptcy Court for the Middle District of Florida involving substantial claims for personal guaranty liability and defenses related thereto.
- Representation of an airline fuel provider in class action litigation pending before the 11th Judicial Circuit in and for Miami-Dade County, Florida involving fraud and RICO claims by alleged customers.
- Representation of real estate developer in litigation against former business partner pending before the 11th Judicial Circuit in and for Miami-Dade County, Florida regarding ownership and control of six residential developments and involving claims for breach of fiduciary duty, fraud, accounting, and other related claims/defenses.
- Representation of large general contractor company in litigation pending before the 15th Judicial Circuit in and for Palm Beach County, Florida against owner of residential development that proceeded to a five day bench trial; representation also involved obtaining an award of fees and costs as prevailing party.
- Representation of health supplement/vitamin manufacturer and distributor in sixteen-day jury trial in the 15th Judicial Circuit in and for Palm Beach County, Florida involving over thirty claims/counterclaims concerning intellectual property, tort, and contract issues wherein $250 million in damages were at issue.
- Representation of multiple real estate developers in a variety of cases involving the Interstate Land Sales Full Disclosure Act and related claims by purchasers for rescission/damages in the following Florida Judicial Circuit Courts: 9th, 11th, 15th, 17th, and 20th.
- Representation of owners of condominium property that proceeded to a eight day jury trial pending before the 15th Judicial Circuit in and for Palm Beach County, Florida concerning multi-million dollar damage claims against construction company and building management company; representation included obtaining an award of fees and costs as prevailing party.
- Representation of owners of condominium property in litigation pending before the 15th Judicial Circuit in and for Palm Beach County, Florida that proceeded to trial on multi-million dollar damage claims against a construction company and the building’s management company; representation included obtaining an award of fees and costs as prevailing party.
- Representation of national real estate development company in litigation pending before the 15th Judicial Circuit in and for Palm Beach County, Florida that proceeded to trial on multi-million dollar damage claims concerning construction defects and mold growth in property on Palm Beach Island.
- Representation of a Florida municipality's water utility company in class action pending before the 17th Judicial Circuit in and for Broward County, Florida.
- Representation of purchaser of residence on Palm Beach Island in litigation in litigation pending before the 15th Judicial Circuit in and for Palm Beach County, Florida concerning construction defects, fraud, and negligence.
- Multiple representations of companies and/or senior management in a variety of executive employment disputes concerning nondisclosure agreements, non-competition agreements, and executive compensation disputes.
- Multiple representations of national retailers in commercial landlord-tenant disputes and property insurance disputes in various litigations pending before the 11th Judicial Circuit of Florida, the 15th Judicial Circuit of Florida, and the 17th Judicial Circuit of Florida.
- Multiple representations of commercial and residential development companies and/or commercial property owners in a variety of disputes against governmental agencies, suppliers, vendors, contractors, and/or tenants/owners.
- Multiple representations of broker/dealers in arbitration proceedings before FINRA arbitration proceedings.
- Provision of legal advice and presentations to corporate clients on implementing effective policies and procedures concerning electronic communications including, inter alia, usage of internet and social media in marketing campaigns, employee policies concerning social media, and best practices for eDiscovery retention.